One of the reasons I love Italy so much is because of how romantic the various parts of the country are. Venice, especially, is one of the most romantic cities in northern Italy that I’ve ever traveled to. The city is located in the marshy Venetian Lagoon, and is situated across a group of 118 small islands that are separated by canals and linked by bridges. Venice is listed as a World Heritage Site and is renowned for its beautiful lagoon setting, architecture, and artwork. The entire city is a stunning architectural masterpiece, where even the smallest building contains works by some of the world’s greatest artists such as Giorgione, Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese and others.Below, you’ll find a short itinerary that I’ve created for anyone wanting to spend a day in Venice. The list includes several sites and attractions that I highly recommend seeing while there. Of course you can always incorporate these activities for any length of stay. Scroll below for the list.
Top Sights/Attractions in Venice
- Grand Canal cruise upon arrival (cruise options include gondolas, water-taxis, or public ferry service).
- Piazza San Marco (spend some time walking around the square (pictured above).
- Campanile di San Marco (climb this bell tower for beautiful panoramic views of the city– located in St. Mark’s square).
- St. Mark’s Basilica (one of Italy’s most spectacular cathedrals–located in St. Mark’s Square).
- Doge’s Palace (so much history and beautiful artwork in these halls –located in St. Mark’s square).
- Accademia Galleries (if you have time for one art museum go here, you’ll find some of the most historic and beautiful paintings at this museum).
- Take a gondola ride (very relaxing and romantic, and in my opinion the most picturesque way to visit).
- Try gelato at Suso Gelatoteca or Venchi.
- As I previously mentioned in my latest Instagram post, getting lost in Venice is a must. Be sure to end your day by just wandering aimlessly around Venice’s labyrinth of streets and alleyways. It’s beautiful!
*Sources: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/394 (accessed September 22, 2016)